It has been a while since the last one, sorry about that! I have been orienteering in England and dealing with a bout of conjunctivitis but I’m back in the office now and raring to go. Today’s phrase got a bit messy because I’m still a bit tired and out of practice – so forgive me, but also be thankful there are a few points to discuss
Today’s word: Oversvømmelse
- Translation: Flood
- Pronunciation: aw-ver-shvur-merl-ser
Det har vært så lenge siden jeg har skrivet noen ting, derfor trenger jeg en oversvømmelse av inspirasjon! Siden jeg er ikke helt sikker om setningen opp der, skal jeg også sier at oversvømmelse i fjor i England var kjempedårlig og mange folk måtte dro fra husene deres. Det var bra vær for ender!
- There is not really a Norwegian equivalent for “it has been so long since” so we should stick with “it is so long since”, det er så lenge siden
- å skrive, skrev, har skrevet
- derfor does not really work here, we can replace it with at jeg trenger
- Ikke placement can be tricky, in this sentence (a subordinate clause) ikke must precede the finite verb: Siden jeg ikke er helt sikker
- Om and På can also be tricky for English speakers – here we should use sikker på
- The next sentence is a bit messy, and is better written as forige setning, or sentingen over
- “Skal jeg også sier at” is better written as vil jeg også si at. Vil and Skal can also cause some difficulties, since skal generally means “will, shall” and vil generally means “would like to, want to”. Sier should also have been in the infinitive, å si.
- kjempedårlig does not really work in this context, so we can introduce a new word: forferdelig (terrible)
- dro should be dra, as in English you would say “had to leave” not “had to left”.
- Since we are talking about their own houses, we should say husene sine, otherwise we could be referring to “their” as in anybodies houses.
Det er så lenge siden jeg har skrevet noen ting at jeg trenger en oversvømmelse av inspirasjon! Siden jeg ikke er helt sikker på forrige setning, vil jeg også si at oversvømmelse i fjor i England var forferdelig, og mange folk måtte dra fra husene sine. Det var bra vær for ender!
It has been so long since I have written anything that I need a flood of inspiration! Since I'm not totally sure about the previous sentence, I will also say that the floods last year in England were terrible and many people had to leave their houses. It was nice weather for ducks!